Tuesday 18 July 2017

being creative - my 6 top tips

Being a creative person is hard. I don't mean for this to be a moaning blog, but more to highlight just how much has to be 'right' in your life to be able to fulfill your creative potential.

1. Money. There is a reason why there are so many artists who come from a rich background. Most people have to work a day job, often full time, pouring energy into that which leads to less energy for creative projects. Not having money to buy materials is also frustrating.

2. Health. Feeling tired, being physically ill or horribly depressed to name a few, means it's a challenge to have inspiration.

3. Routine. It can be difficult to build art into your week.

4. Skill. University  and courses are expensive, so not always accessible to learn new skills or keep skills up to date.

5. Finally, environment. I don't know about you, but after moving out of my parents house, for 10 years my desk was in my bedroom. I really struggled to make work in the same place I slept.


 

So here are my top tips for being creative:

1. Make a workspace. Decide what works for you even if that is your bed. Set it up so that when you feel creative or have inspiration, you can just sit down and start. So you don't have to waste energy setting up or getting stuff out.

2. Set a time in the week for being creative.  Difficult, but once you start it starts to become a routine.

3. Write down ideas on your phone. I often feel like I have zero inspiration and no ideas especially if I am feeling low, anxious or stressed. I seem to forget. I have a long list on my phone now, so I can just pick one idea to draw.

4. Watch YouTube videos, go on pinterest or Instagram. I find they can help motivate me.

5. Find some friends to have a crafternoon with! I love to make a 'zine in a day' with my friends using the 'one piece of paper' zine fold. (Find out how to do it here.)

6. Finally, don't beat yourself up if you're struggling.



2 comments:

online dissertation writing service said...

Seriously you are right. Being creative becomes difficult some time.When your mind is fresh and every things is going according to you like money, environment etc. then you take out all the ideas from mind and make them happen

Unknown said...

This is very nice and beautiful. The color is amazing and it is very easy to install. l shaped computer desk